A hoverboard is the likely cause of a house fire in Shreveport's Highland neighborhood that left a family of eight without a home.

The Shreveport Fire Department was dispatched to a reported house fire in the 200 block of Dalzell Street at around 9:30 P.M. Tuesday. Engine 7 arrived on scene minutes later to find flames visible at rear of the wood frame home. All occupants of the home were able to escape prior to the fire department's arrival. It took seven units, consisting of twety-four firefighters, fourteen minutes to bring the situation under control.

Family members told fire officials that a loud bang was heard prior to seeing flames on the floor around a hoverboard.

Firefighters were able to rescue a family puppy, but unfortunately another puppy was recovered deceased. A firefighter was injured when he fell from a ladder during salvage and overhaul operations. That firefighter was treated on scene and transported to a local hospital for further examination.

Fire investigators determined the fire originated in a rear bedroom and was likely caused by the hoverboard.

More From News Radio 710 KEEL