No More 2020s: Republicans Move to Shore Up Election Security
Coming on the heels of the Joe Biden Presidential election win and the ongoing questions by many regarding the legitimacy of the vote count on a number of states, Republicans at the state and federal levels of government are looking at ways to target reforms to the federal election system to provide Americans with confidence in our nation’s elections.
As a result of these concerns, the Republican Study Committee, led by Congressman and RSC Chairman Jim Banks of Indiana, has released details of what it calls the Save Democracy Act, addressing election issues and challenges because, as Banks says, "Americans deserve to know that their legal votes won’t be nullified by illegal ones."
The RSC's proposal - hopefully to be introduced as state and federal legislation - would "prohibit or reform current practices that weaken the security, oversight, and administration of elections for federal office," and would shore up election security that Democrats have worked to erode, including voter registration and identification and the casting (absentee voting, vote by mail, etc.) and the tabulation of ballots.
• Prohibits automatic voter registration for federal elections.
• Requires voter citizenship verification to register to vote in federal elections.
• Requires full Social Security Numbers (SSN) to register to vote in federal elections.
• Requires federal courts to notify state election officials when an individual is excused from jury duty because they are not a citizen.
Casting of Ballots:
• Prohibit states from sending out unrequested absentee ballots for federal elections.
• Bars anyone other than the voter, an election official, or the post office from submitting a ballot to a polling location during federal elections.
• Prohibits use of public ballot collection boxes in federal elections. • Requires that absentee ballots be received by the close of election day for federal elections.
• Requires a voter to provide proof of I.D. for absentee voting and in-person voting in federal elections, creating equal treatment for all ballots.
• Requires voters to produce a matching SSN printed on their ballot in federal elections. Additionally, requires election officials to cross-check the SSN on a ballot with the voter’s registration and submit such data to Congress.
• Maintains current protections for military and overseas voters.
Tabulation of Ballots:
• Requires that at least two representatives of each Presidential campaign in a general election be permitted to observe polls and vote counting operations.
• Requires that ballot counting, once begun, continue until completed—no delays or pauses.
• Requires the audit of ballot tabulation systems within the 30-day period following a federal election.
For more details about the RSC's Save Democracy Act and other legislative plans, JUST CLICK HERE!