Fire Safety Tips from Chief Scott Wolverton
With the death of a 64-year-old man in a house fire in Ledbetter Heights this week, firefighters want to remind residents about some fire safety tips. We caught up with Shreveport Fire Chief Scott Wolverton to talk about some things you can do to stay safe during the holidays.
Chief Wolverton says one of the big problems is space heaters. He says you should not have anything combustible within 3 feet of a space heater. He also says you should be sure to check your smoke alarms and make sure you have a fresh battery in each one.
You are also urged to cover your fireplace with a screen and get your chimney cleaned out by a chimney sweep.
Chief Wolverton says his crews also respond to a lot of calls about lit candles and food left on the stove. He says you should never leave food cooking unattended and be sure to put out candles before leaving a room.