A Shreveport family is suffering a horrible loss, and the local community is stepping up to help out.

Tragedy struck the family Thursday morning, as they woke up to their home filling with smoke. Shreveport fire officials say they arrived at the family's home on Bert Kouns at Pines Road to heavy smoke and fire.

They found the 18-month-old little boy in the back bedroom and rushed him to the hospital. He died from his injuries.

The father was able to rescue his two older children from the home, but flames trapped his young son. After fire officials pulled the boy out, flames completely destroyed the family's home.

The neighborhood residents have pulled together and a Go Fund Me account has been set up to help the family. The link is: http://www.Gofundme.com/e65nny99g

You can donate items and money to Forest Mobile Estates or Shreveport Ink on Mansfield Road. You can also make a monetary donation to Aulds Funeral Home to help with funeral expenses.

More From News Radio 710 KEEL