Elderly Man Dies, Daughter Injured In House Fire This Morning
The Eunice Fire Department responded at 7:27 this morning to 711 North 3rd Street for a report that a residence was on fire. Firefighters arrived minutes later to discover heavy smoke pouring out of every window. They found the body of Alvin Reed (dob. 5-2-1921) on the rear porch; he apparently died while attempting to escape the burning structure. His daughter was in the home too, but was able to escape, but not before suffering burns and smoke inhalation. She was transported to Acadiana Medical Center where she is listed in stable condition.
State Fire Marshal Deputies are on the scene investigating this tragic fire. At this time no cause has been determined. It appears that no working smoke alarms were in the home and this contributed to the inability for the occupants to evacuate the home safely.
State Fire Marshal Butch Browning reminds citizens, “You must have working smoke alarms in your home. The winter season is upon us and we experience a high number of fire deaths that commonly are contributed to the lack of alarms to wake people up. Most deaths can be prevented with the use of smoke alarms”.