The Jimmie Davis Bridge Might Be Replaced Faster Than We Thought
Anyone who has traveled across the Jimmie Davis Bridge over Red River, connecting Shreveport and Bossier, knows it's somewhat eerie. We've been informed for years that the bridge needed replacement, but several issues have prevented that work from beginning.
Those issues might have seen their last day and we might soon see work beginning on its replacement.
So, What Has Changed?
It was announced this past Friday, January 14, 2022, that the State of Louisiana would be in line to receive approximately $1 billion, over five years, in Federal funds, to improve or replace around four hundred bridges in the state.
The Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) announced the creation of the Bridge Formula Program, which will provide $26.5 billion in much needed construction funds all over the country, for the purpose of bridge repair or replacement for those bridges deemed to be in poor condition.
How Much Will Louisiana Get This Year?
Here in Louisiana, the first installment of the approximate $1 billion we're to receive over the next five years, is a payment of $202.6 million during this fiscal year. In a press release from the office of Governor John Bel Edwards, we learn that some of our bridges will move to the head of the line and two of those near the top are right here in Northwest Louisiana.
Here's the full list of those projects set to advance this year due to the availability of these funds:
- LA 531 over I-20 Bridge Replacement in Webster Parish
- I-10 over US & Missouri Pacific RR in Calcasieu and Jefferson Davis Parishes
- Jimmie Davis Bridge Replacement in Caddo Parish
- US90Z – Harvey Canal Tunnel Rehabilitation in Jefferson Parish
- I-10 Sabine River Bridges Rehabilitation in Calcasieu Parish
- I-20 Orange Street Overpass Repair in Ouachita Parish
- US 61 Jefferson Highway Overpass Repair in East Baton Rouge Parish
- LA 47 Intracoastal Waterway Gulf Outlet Bridge Rehabilitation in Orleans Parish
- LA 485 Bridges near Allen Louisiana (Natchitoches Parish)
- LA 835 Creek Bridges in Morehouse Parish
- LA 121 over the Calcasieu River in Rapides Parish
- LA 182 over Berwick Bay Bridge Rehabilitation in St. Mary Parish
- US 51 over the Yellow Water River in Tangipahoa Parish
- LA 1183 over Turner Canal in Avoyelles Parish
- LA 1226 over Bayou Chevreuille in Natchitoches Parish
- LA 961 over Sandy Creek in East Feliciana Parish
- LA 404 Bayou and Canal Bridges in Iberville Parish
Obviously, since this information is so new, we have yet to hear any construction plans or dates for any of the above projects, but one can only hope that those are soon coming with possible construction beginning in this fiscal year.