A 7th grader from Benton Middle School is okay after being shocked in the neck by an electric fence Thursday morning. According to reports, several students were playing soccer on the athletic field when the ball was accidentally kicked in to a neighboring property's yard.

The boy went to retrieve the ball but as he crawled under a fence separating the school from the property, he received a strong electrical shock. He was taken to the hospital for treatment and was released. The school says they were completely unaware the fence was charged, since no signs are posted.

Officials say they plan to post flags around the field to prevent students from getting near the fence. They also plan on having a chat with the landowner about the incident.

More From News Radio 710 KEEL