Caddo Commission Makes Controversial Appointment
The Caddo Parish Commission has picked a local man to serve as interim Commissioner, but this appointment does not come without lots of controversy.
After hearing from the 5 candidates who applied to serve to represent District 8, the Commission appointed Democrat Ron Cothran to the post. This is the seat formerly held by Republican Jim Taliaferro, a Republican who resigned from the Commission to take a seat on the Shreveport City Council.
What Is the Political Makeup of District 8?
Who Were the Applicants for the Commission Seat?
- Grace Anne Blake, a Caddo Parish resident and owner of Avalon Hair Salon.
- Ron Cothran, retired military, former transportation director for Dayton public schools and Partnership for Youth coordinator.
- Lea Desmarteau, business owner of Well Necessities and community volunteer
- Jason Frazier, former military, former Shreveport police executive officer and serves now as a training specialist for Calumet refinery in Shreveport.
- Frank Thaxton, owns and operates Home Luxe, a retail lighting and flooring company.
All five of them presented a brief statement to the full Commission before the panel voted 8-3 for Cothran to serve in the seat until a special election can be held this fall.
Why This Will Be on Ballot Twice this Fall
The Parish Clerk sent us more information about the election saying "the fall election will have a ballot choice for District 8 Interim and another for Regular District 8 commissioner. This is odd, but it's the result of the timing of election years not lining up with charter timing requirements.