Shreveport Police Violent Crimes detectives are investigating a shooting which left one man dead and another suffering serious injuries Monday evening.

Shortly before 11:00 p.m. on April 3, 2017, Shreveport Police were called to the 400 block of East 66th Street on a shots fired call. When officers arrived at the scene, they discovered a silver colored Dodge Charger, riddled with bullets, and driven off the roadway. Inside the vehicle, police discovered the body of 21-year-old Juvareya Fleming. Fleming was pronounced dead at the scene, the victim of multiple gunshot wounds to the upper torso. A second victim, 27-year-old Jakari Lee, was believed to have been inside of the car during the shooting and also suffered multiple gunshots wounds. Lee was transported by private vehicle to University Health hospital for treatment for what were considered to be life-threatening injuries. While on the scene, officers canvasing the area, located a second vehicle which had been struck by gunfire in the 400 block of East 66th Street. Investigators, after collecting evidence there, successfully linked the vehicle, a blue, mid-sized sport utility vehicle, to the crime.

Cpl. Marcus Hines, spokesman for the Shreveport Police department, tells us what detectives found during the course of the investigation:

Since the investigation into the matter began, detectives have worked tirelessly gathering details into what led to the tragic series of events. In their efforts, investigators interviewed a man who initiated contact with authorities Tuesday morning, alleging he was involved in the melee. In a subsequent series of interviews with the man, accompanied by evidence gathered by detectives in the inquiry, it was determined that the man would be released without charges pending further investigation into the shooting. It is believed the man who fired the gun was voluntarily present with Fleming and Lee, when an attempted robbery of the man was precipitated where the man was shot at multiple times by the aforementioned. Based on information and evidence collected, it appears the man returned fire, striking both Fleming and Lee, before fleeing the scene.

The case remains under active investigation.

More From News Radio 710 KEEL