[UPDATE]  A family continues to grieve...23 years after Juanita Jones was shot in Haughton in an apparent robbery. Juanita was Robert Jones' oldest sister, and he says she was a "mother figure" to him and their other brothers growing up, since their mother worked to support the family. At 32, Juanita had no children of her own...having just gotten out of the military after four years of service. She was working at Circle K in Haughton while trying to start her own business -- a barbecue stand in the area.

Robert says he has no idea who might have done something like this to his sister. "And that's the hardest part...not knowing, because we would like some closure to my mother." he says. "It's really hard on the whole family, but it's really hard on my mom." He says every day, it feels like it just happened yesterday.

He says all they can do right now is pray about it. "God's gonna make it come to the light sooner or later, if we believe God's gonna handle it," Jones says.

Listen to our interview here:

Meantime, Bossier Sheriff's Lieutenant Shannon Mack is on the case. She says she inherited the cold case over a year ago, and she's been following any leads that come her way. "But of course, resources for law enforcement have changed drastically in the last 23 years," she says. She's hoping someone who might not have wanted to come forward before will do it now.

Listen to that interview here:


November 13th, 1989...that's the date Juanita Jones was killed. And 23 years later, whoever killed her is still on the loose. But the Bossier Sheriff's Office hasn't given up on looking for the person or people responsible.

Sheriff's Lieutenant Bill Davis tells KEEL News that Jones, who was 32 at the time of her death, was working at what used to be the Circle K -- now Domino's Pizza -- at the corner of Bodcau Station and Highway 80 in Haughton.

Someone entered the store late that night and shot Jones in the head during what appeared to be a robbery. The cash register drawer was open, and money was missing.

The shooter took off, leaving Jones fighting for her life. She was taken to Bossier Medical Center, where she died five days later.

Detectives say there were several good leads at the time, but none of them led to arrests. They're still trying to locate the killer and believe that person may still have ties to the Haughton and Shreveport areas. So they're bringing this case to the forefront again, hoping someone will remember any little detail that might have been missed before.

If you have any information, call Bossier Crime Stoppers or visit the website here. A $1,000 reward is being offered if an arrest is made.

Billboards are expected to be put up in front of where the murder took place in 1989.

More From News Radio 710 KEEL