Woman Dies After Drinking Too Much Coca-Cola
A New Zealand woman died after drinking too much, but it wasn’t alcohol she was throwing back. Thirty-year-old Natasha Harris was addicted to Coca-Cola. Family members say she drank more than two gallons of the popular soft drink a day.
Harris died following a cardiac arrhythmia in February 2010, but the coroner’s report, which has only now been released, ties her consumption of Coke to her death.
“I find that, when all the available evidence is considered, were it not for the consumption of very large quantities of Coke by Natasha Harris, it is unlikely that she would have died when she died and how she died,” said the coroner.
The coroner added that Harris also suffered from an enlarged liver.
According to reports, Harris had tried to stop drinking Coke several times, but would suffer withdrawal symptoms each time. The mother of eight had to have several rotten teeth removed, and one of her children was born without any tooth enamel.
If you do the math, Harris consumed more than two pounds of sugar and 970mg of caffeine each day. Doctors say just 500mg of caffeine can be dangerous.
[via USA Today]