Shreveport Assistant Fire Chief Urging Heating Safety in Light of Space Heater Fire, Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
A woman went to the hospital for smoke inhalation...after her electric space heater ignited combustibles. A family of three was sent to the hospital for carbon monoxide poisoning because they were operating a portable generator indoors without proper ventilation.
These are just a couple of reasons firefighters want to remind residents to "think safety" when heating their homes during the cooler months.
Shreveport Assistant Fire Chief Fred Sanders shared some tips with me on properly using space heaters, kerosene heaters, generators, gave some guidelines on extension cords, and discussed the need for working smoke and carbon monoxide detectors in your home.