The Shreveport Fire Department extinguished a house fire in the Lakeside subdivision late Thursday evening.

At around 9:50 pm, SFD responded to a reported house fire in the 1900 block of Maple Street in Shreveport. Battalion Chief 2 arrived just before 10:00 pm to find flames visible from the residence. The occupant was safely outside when the first crew arrived. Firefighters battled the blaze for eighteen minutes to bring it under control.

A press release from Shreveport Fire Spokesman Fredrick Sanders explains how investigators believe the fire started:

The occupant told firefighters that a tree had fallen on the roof earlier this evening causing downed power lines. Fire investigators have determined the fire originated in the attic. The fire was likely caused by electric wires arcing and igniting ordinary combustibles in the attic. This fire is classified as accidental.

There were no reported injuries.