Contact Us

Point of View: Four Years Old

Getty Images

It’s my grandfatherly duty to provide transportation to and from my 4 year old grandson’s pre-school. Most of the time, the car radio is on and tuned into any one of the six Town Square Media stations. This particular day, the radio tuner was set to 710 KEEL. We were riding home listening to Rush Limbaugh and his assessment of the political climate in our nation. At this particular and specific moment, Rush was in a rant about how the sitting president “is a threat to the American way of life as envisioned by the founding fathers.” Rush supported his viewpoint by quoting from the Declaration of Independence about the founders expression of “men being endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable rights.” He referred to the U.S. Constitution as “the law of the land being circumvented.” He illustrated his point with highlights from some of Obama’s writing – The Audacity to Hope, for one – and speeches, as well as the legislative resolutions, bills and policies he has put forth and supports. Rush also pointed out the president’s unabashed statements that the wealthiest 1 percent of the population in our nation should, by law, be made to share their wealth with the other 99%. Remember, my four year old grandson is with me listening to this as we make our drive home from pre-school. Rush referenced Obama’s campaign statement that he “wants to fundamentally transform the United States of America.” He also outlined several statements that Obama has made in his writing that point to the president’s belief (this is a paraphrase of the idea Rush was conveying about Obama) – “this nation was founded by white Europeans so they as founders and their progeny could and would be the only ones to benefit from its founding.” Rush paused, long enough for my grandson to assert: “That’s not true.” The child had objectively listened to one “adult” layout with some supportive evidence, the beliefs, morals, political position and values of another “adult.” This child delivered his assessment and observation that this nation was founded on the precept of three inalienable rights: Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. It suggests that even he knows the proper place of our government: of the PEOPLE, for the PEOPLE and most importantly BY THE PEOPLE, not the elected and what they think is good for the people. If a four year old can see this simple truth, the rest of us children might do well to seek likewise.

More from 710 KEEL

Best of the Web

Leave a Comment

It appears that you already have an account created within our VIP network of sites on . To keep your points and personal information safe, we need to verify that it's really you. To activate your account, please confirm your password. When you have confirmed your password, you will be able to log in through Facebook on both sites.

Forgot your password?

*Please note that your points, prizes and activities will not be shared between programs within our VIP network.

It appears that you already have an account on this site associated with . To connect your existing account with your Facebook account, just click on the account activation button below. You will maintain your existing profile and VIP program points. After you do this, you will be able to always log in to http://710keel.com using your Facebook account.

*Please note that your points, prizes and activities will not be shared between programs within our VIP network.

Please fill out the information below to help us provide you a better experience.

Register on News Radio 710 KEEL quickly by logging in with your Facebook account. It's just as secure, and no password to remember!

Not a Member? Sign Up Here.

Sign up for an account to comment, share your thoughts, and earn points to get great prizes.

Register on News Radio 710 KEEL quickly by logging in with your Facebook account. It's just as secure, and no password to remember!