‘Ozone Action Day’ Forecast for Caddo, Bossier & Desoto Parishes
The Louisiana state Department of Environmental Quality is forecasting that Wednesday, June 27 will be an Ozone Action Day in Caddo, Bossier, and Desoto Parishes. That means the weather conditions will be favorable for the formation of Ozone. The Air Quality Index indicates that ozone levels tomorrow will be at 104. That’s in the “orange” level, which is unhealthy for sensitive groups especially during the afternoon hours. Active children and adults, the elderly, and people with respiratory diseases such as Asthma should avoid prolonged outdoor activities and exertion.
The DEQ is encouraging area residents to take one or more of the following voluntary actions to help reduce the formation of Ozone:
- Drive less.
- Carpool, walk and bike, combine errands and care for your car.
- Be sure your gas cap is on tight.
- Refuel your vehicle, mow grass and use gas-powered lawn equipment and off-road vehicles after 6PM
- Postpone chores that use oil-based paint, varnishes and solvents that produce flame
- If you barbeque, use an electric starter instead of starter fluid
- Take your lunch to work or walk to lunch
- Conserve energy in your home
The DEQ says incorporating these tips into your daily routines can make a significant difference. We all have a stake in better air quality. Spread the word by telling family, friends, co-workers and neighbors about ozone action days.