Mother and Son Escape Allendale House Fire
A mother and her son were able to escape a fire early this morning at their home in the 300 block of North Dale.
Shreveport firefighters arrived at the home at around 5:45 to find heavy fire coming from the front and side of the home. The two occupants were found outside the home.
Fire crews were faced with a fully-involved house fire and exposures on both sides of the home. It took seven units, 21 firefighters, 15 minutes to bring the flames under control.
The home and two vehicles parked out front were destroyed by the fire. The house did not have a working smoke detector. The fire remains under investigation.
The Shreveport Fire Department wants to remind you to change all of your smoke alarm batteries when you set your clocks back an hour before you go to bed tonight.
The department has joined the 'Change Your Clock, Change Your Battery' campaign, which urges all Americans to adopt a simple, lifesaving habit -- changing smoke alarm and carbon monoxide detector batteries when changing clocks back to standard time.
The SFD also has a smoke alarm program. Firefighters will come out and install free smoke alarms in residential homes throughout the city. Contact the Fire Prevention Bureau if you need one -- 318-673-6740.