Contact Us

House Goes Up in Smoke, Electrical Problems Blamed

Shreveport fire fighters arrived on the scene of a house fire this morning in the 4100 block of Joe Louis Street. Within two minutes fire fighters found the one-story wood frame house with smoke visible from the windows.

electrical-fire
Electrical Fire /Thinkstock

As fire fighters entered the house they extinguish the blaze quickly and were able to confine the fire to the one bedroom.

The home was occupied by two adults.  The house did not have a working smoke detector, but fortunately the occupants were awake at the time  the fire began. They smelled smoke in the house, and both escaped without injury.

The fire was determined to be caused by an overloaded electrical circuit.  An extension cord had a window air conditioner and several other appliances attached to it and could not handle the electrical current.

Fire investigators urge citizens to plug appliances directly into outlets and not use extension cords.  Also, be careful not to plug several appliances into one plug and overload the circuit.  Citizens are also encouraged to have a working smoke detector in their home for early detection of fires.

If  you need a  smoke detector please contact the Shreveport Fire Department Fire Prevention Bureau at 673-6740.

More from 710 KEEL

Best of the Web

Leave a Comment

It appears that you already have an account created within our VIP network of sites on . To keep your points and personal information safe, we need to verify that it's really you. To activate your account, please confirm your password. When you have confirmed your password, you will be able to log in through Facebook on both sites.

Forgot your password?

*Please note that your points, prizes and activities will not be shared between programs within our VIP network.

It appears that you already have an account on this site associated with . To connect your existing account with your Facebook account, just click on the account activation button below. You will maintain your existing profile and VIP program points. After you do this, you will be able to always log in to http://710keel.com using your Facebook account.

*Please note that your points, prizes and activities will not be shared between programs within our VIP network.

Please fill out the information below to help us provide you a better experience.

Register on News Radio 710 KEEL quickly by logging in with your Facebook account. It's just as secure, and no password to remember!

Not a Member? Sign Up Here

Register on News Radio 710 KEEL quickly by logging in with your Facebook account. It's just as secure, and no password to remember!