Fire Destroys Two Units at Olde Salem Village Apartments in Shreveport
Shreveport Firefighters responded to the Olde Salem Village Apartments at 6725 Buncombe Road at 9:15am for a reported apartment fire.
Fire Crews from Engine Company #12 arrived on scene within three minutes to find flames coming from a downstairs apartment and extending up to the apartment above. Crews determined quickly that all occupants were out of the building and evacuated all other units in the building as well. A rapid interior fire attack began bringing the fire under control shortly before 10am.
There were two apartments heavily damaged by fire with the remainder of the apartments getting some smoke damage. Both apartments were occupied. The downstairs apartment had two adults and three children. The upstairs was occupied by an adult and one teenager. The teenager was the only one home in the upstairs apartment at the time of the fire. He escaped by jumping from the window.
One adult male, one teenager, and one child were treated on scene and released for minor injuries. The fire appears to have started in a bedroom in the downstairs apartment; however, the exact cause of the fire has yet to be determined.
Both families stated they were warned by their smoke detectors. SFD encourages all citizens to have working smoking detectors in their homes and to check to see if they are working properly every month.