Family Awarded $63 Million from Johnson and Johnsons
A Massachusetts family is awarded $63 million dollars after their 7-year old daughter suffered a severe reaction to Children’s Motrin.
It happened when the little girl was just seven years old, nearly 10 years ago. She had a fever and was given the version of ibuprofen made by drug giant Johnson & Johnson. The fever did not go away, but much bigger medical conditions started happening. Samantha Reckis started getting blisters and showed signs of fatigue and it kept getting worse. A doctor finally diagnosed it as Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis, which is a rare reaction to some medications, including ibuprofen. One-third of the people who get TEN die. Many others are left blind. “It’s like having your skin burned off of you,” said one of the family’s attorneys, Bradley M. Henry. “Imagine your worst sunburn times 1,000. It’s an absolutely devastating condition.” Reckis had to go
to the hospital several times and she is now legally blind and cannot walk any distances without getting tired. See the jury’s finding.